Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hero

According to the dictionary a “Hero” is a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. The definition of “hero” I hold is a bit different from this. To me, anyone that I can truly respect is a hero. That may lower the standard of “hero” to be such a cheap word, but my standard of “true” respect is rather high. For example, the 9/11 firefighter is definitely a hero. One can say it is their job to save people; therefore they are not a “hero”. Well, I’m sure when they knew a plane crashed in the towers, they knew there was going to be great amount of risk. But yet, they progressed with their job. The courage they shown is what everyone should respect and therefore to me, they are a hero. At least at that moment, they did not think about becoming a hero or thinking about how much they are going to be paid. Shammy in A & P, though, failed to be a hero. He was rather heroic to at least be true and responsible for what he said, but he did what he did for his benefit. He expected a reward for what he did. Therefore, in my definition of “hero” he is not respectable and again he is not a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment